Wednesday, May 27"And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not."

Ezekiel 16

Home Forums Iron vs Iron Ezekiel 16

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Helpful
    Up
    Down
    Not Helpful
    Itohan
    Participant
    • Affiliation:

Shalom all!

I just need some clarification on Ezekiel 16.
      Verse 3 says of Jerusalem: Thy birth and thy nativity is of the land of Canaan; thy father was an Amorite, and thy mother an Hittite.
      Verse 44 says: “…Behold, every one that useth proverbs shall use this proverb against thee, saying, As is the mother, so is her daughter.” I am assuming that (the people of) Israel is being referred to here, because…
      Verse 46 says “And thine elder sister is Samaria, she and her daughters that dwell at thy left hand: and thy younger sister, that dwelleth at thy right hand, is Sodom and her daughters.”

Now, this is the part I really have difficulty understanding…
      Verse 53 says: When I shall bring again their captivity, the captivity of Sodom and her daughters, and the captivity of Samaria and her daughters, then will I bring again the captivity of thy captives in the midst of them:
      Who are the literal daughters of Sodom and Samaria? And what does this mean – “then will I bring again the captivity of thy captives in the midst of them:”

And especially what does verse 55 mean: “When thy sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate, and Samaria and her daughters shall return to their former estate, then thou and thy daughters shall return to your former estate.” Sodom and Samaria returning to their former estate…?

And it appears that Sodom and Samaria (or their daughters – that is, future generations of them) shall be given to Israel as indicated in the following verses 59 to 62:
      “59 For thus saith the Lord God; I will even deal with thee as thou hast done, which hast despised the oath in breaking the covenant.

60 Nevertheless I will remember my covenant with thee in the days of thy youth, and I will establish unto thee an everlasting covenant.

61 Then thou shalt remember thy ways, and be ashamed, when thou shalt receive thy sisters, thine elder and thy younger: and I will give them unto thee for daughters, but not by thy covenant.

62 And I will establish my covenant with thee; and thou shalt know that I am the Lord:”

I know this is more than a mouthful (!), but if anyone can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Shalom!

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Itohan.
      Helpful
      Up
      Down
      Not Helpful
      Jeshurun
      Participant
      • Affiliation:

This reply has been accepted as the best answer.

@ ITOHAN – Ezekiel 16 is pretty detailed. The one thing to remember is that, using heavy metaphor, it describes the people of Israel and its corrupt and idolatrous history.

“Verse 3 says of Jerusalem: Thy birth and thy nativity is of the land of Canaan; thy father was an Amorite, and thy mother an Hittite.”

This verse uses metaphor.
        By describing Israel’s father as an Amorite and her mother as a Hittite, TMH is saying that the nation came from two of the most idolatrous peoples that were surrounding Israel. How do we know this?

Although Abraham and Sarah are the biological parents of Israel, it is because of their unfaithfulness to TMH by worshipping false gods, that Israel is described as being the children of these two idolatrous nations.
        – see John 8:44

“Verse 44 says: “…Behold, every one that useth proverbs shall use this proverb against thee, saying, As is the mother, so is her daughter.”

I am assuming that (the people of) Israel is being referred to here, because…
        Verse 46 says “And thine elder sister is Samaria, she and her daughters that dwell at thy left hand: and thy younger sister, that dwelleth at thy right hand, is Sodom and her daughters.”

YOU ARE CORRECT. Bearing in mind who the mother of Israel was (HITTITE), the proverbial saying was true, as the mother is, so is the daughter. So the mother is idolatrous, the daughter is also idolatrous. This describes Israel perfectly!

In addition, after the reign of Solomon, the nation split into two during the days of his son, Rehoboam. Ten tribes established themselves in the north with Samaria as its capital. Two tribes were in the south, at Jerusalem.
        Hence, the older sister of the two is known as Samaria and the other sister which was based in Jerusalem was otherwise known as Sodom.
        see Isa 1:10; Isa 3:9

Now, this is the part I really have difficulty understanding…
        Verse 53 says: When I shall bring again their captivity, the captivity of Sodom and her daughters, and the captivity of Samaria and her daughters, then will I bring again the captivity of thy captives in the midst of them:
        Who are the literal daughters of Sodom and Samaria? And what does this mean – “then will I bring again the captivity of thy captives in the midst of them:”

These verses are referring to both the Northern and Southern tribes being brought back to Israel as one nation.The daughters of Sodom and Samaria is a metaphor for all 12 tribes of unfaithful Israel- see Eze 37:15-17.

And especially what does verse 55 mean: “When thy sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate, and Samaria and her daughters shall return to their former estate, then thou and thy daughters shall return to your former estate.” Sodom and Samaria returning to their former estate…?

In other words, TMH will bring them back to the land and clean them up from their sins and they will be re-established in their ancestral lands.
        – see Eze 37:20-23

Hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Jeshurun.
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.